Wednesday, April 14, 2010

day one hundred four: princess

To say that Josie is obsessed with princesses right now would be a huge understatement. Every other word out of her mouth is "princess." When she wakes up in the morning, the first words out of her mouth (literally... we can hear her over the baby monitor) are that she wants to get dressed like a princess today. In her mind, wearing a dress means that you are a princess. Therefore, she now only wears dresses (well, they can be layered over shorts, skirts, pants--but only ballet pants*, shirts or tights).

every

single

day

I tried to send her to school in jeans a couple weeks ago and we eventually had to come home because she was so inconsolable. Come to think of it, that's when the obsession with dresses (and only dresses) really took off. Hmmm.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, dresses.

Josie thinks that every female should wear dresses every day. When Avery comes out of the bathroom in the morning and is not wearing a dress (which is most days), Josie honestly seems disappointed and asks her, "Why you not being a princess today?" And when she sees what I've picked out for the day, well disappointment doesn't even begin to describe it. It's more like disgust when she balks, "Why you wearing those jean pants aga-ain?" Clearly she does not approve of my SAHM uniform.

I can handle the obsession with clothing as long as it's contained in the house but this past week it's really moved beyond these 4 walls. When we're walking down the street and we see a woman wearing a dress, Josie literally yells out, "She's a princess like me!" Conversely, when we see a woman who is not wearing a dress, Josie does not hesitate to let everyone know that she is, in fact, not a princess today. She also will comment on all sorts of other things: "I like her ballet pants," or "Look at her fancy ballet shoes."

So far, none of the commentary is negative in tone, but I am slightly uncomfortable with the path it's taking. I don't care if she is fixated with what she's wearing on any given day, but I don't like her paying so much attention to what other people are wearing.

Plus, I know it's only a matter of time before we run into a guy wearing a dress. And that's going to be awkward.



*aka leggings